Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cash incentive does not add up for me

I have an active interest in affordable housing issues as part of my work as a planning officer involves seeking solutions to this challenge. Knowing a little about the situation - but only one piece of a complex jigsaw - I cannot quite make sense of Plaid's announcement regarding grants (will these also be called "bribes" as Plaid recently described economic develolpment grants?) to first time buyers.

I fear these grants will only assist sellers of property, as the market will quickly adjust and absorb any additiional purchasing power, and estate agents if their business levels increase.
Furthermore it can only assist those who are in a situation near to purchase, and so the most vulnerable will loose out as public money for housing is diverted towards those who are on the verge of owning property, not those in most need.

It is being promoted, I assume, as it is eye catching for Plaid's middle class supporters - New Plaid Cymru - now where have we heard such policies criticised before ? Perhaps an increase in house building in areas like Gwynedd would help ease pressures ?

I am happy to be informed if my interpretation is wrong as Plaid's web site lacks detail of how this system will work.

No comments: