Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Blinkered vision ?

There is a web site which seeks to cover the town of Caernarfon. Let me acknowledge that we have previously exchanged views as they have clearly taken against my campaign for the Assembly. However I have always respected their right to free comment - part of the power of technology and democracy. Hence I offer a link. so people can judge for themselves.

I sometimes ask myself why town people need to contact the Town Council via a commercial web site, that remains a mystery to me, but a matter for the town council and their residents!

Two significant events in the town this year have attracted attention beyond our boundaries: the big wheel over the summer weeks, and the son et lumiere "Merlin's Magical Quest" Yet both have been largely ignored by the web site, and in the case of the recent son et lumiere, somewhat negative questions. Even if the web master was on holiday surely one of his busy reporters could have obtained some shots of this years wonderful show rather than the old images used on the web. I can only conclude it is their choice not to use new exciting images from a major event in the town. Why ?

As someone who did attend the show let me inform the web site, and others, that they missed a wonderful event, which cost a whole family the equivalent of a round of drinks, and showed the great potential of this product to Caernarfon. While agreeing that Caernarfon is relatively poor there is sufficient money for regular nights out, to support major shows (e.g the Faenol has much local support and costs more -as does a trip to Cineworld in Llandudno Junction) and the area can help support this show. The town's business community has much to gain.

Perhaps to their surprise I agree with the web site when it asks does Caernarfon, and the local business community want this chance? To prompt debate one could ask if, in spite of the regular moaning, whether the town, and our local councils, are comfortable in their own way, and do not wish to see much change ?

I think the son et lumiere show, and the creative ideas that go with it, could give a major boost to the local economy. Yes, further developmental work is required to provide accommodation packages etc but it deserves our support. Unless of course you have an alternative ? If we are not careful I fear the idea could go elsewhere.

4 comments:

Mei said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mei said...

I agree, it's not the best of set ups.

I think he's taken it upon himself to be the middleman for the town council, and obviously there's no one on the council interested in ensuring that there's a decent town council website online.

To digress, the design and setup is awful.

Martin Eaglestone said...

I'm not a great technical person, but assume you are right. I suspect there are town councillors discussing theor concerns but does anyone know what the contract is ?

I just don't see why a democratic town council needs such a link with a commercial web site. Surely the council can open an e-mail of their own ? And I wonder whether anyone monitors e-mail traffic ?

How much public money is paid ?
How do others get to offer services ? etc etc

I see someone else posted a comment but removed it before I checked. A friend from Caernarfon Online ?

Miriam Jones said...

I,m very unhappy about the way this site targets people and always with concealed address.There is no right to reply as it is an administered site. I was libelled in a message by some unknown M Pugh and my only redress is to go to High court. I can afford to do this but what about others? There should be a body such as the press complaints to monitor the web. I would welcome your comments .