Friday, May 23, 2008

Westminster - Red or Blue

At the end of the Wales TUC I contributed to "Taro Post" Radio Cymru's lunchtime debate - not surprisingly the topic was Crewe and Nantwich. It amused me that during discussion on such a day we managed to get Eleanor Burnham talking about Nick Clegg's leadership of the Lib Dems, but on the substantive issue my view has crystallised in to a very simple choice.
At the next Westminster election, whenever it arrives, there will be simple choice of Westminster government : Red or Blue.
Forget the negative talk of there being no difference (I won't produce a boring list), no moaning about a Government's alleged wrong decisions,, but a straight choice as to broadly which way the country will face : Red or Blue.
Dispel any thought that a protest vote for some orange or green brand somehow allows someone to feel better, but naked political choice. This is a message I started delivering to the local papers three weeks ago and it is a message I will not bore in driving home in the time ahead.
I make no apology for that, and must hope that the international financial climate, and UK political fortunes, turn to provide a more favourable wind by election time. But the choice will be stark and in my view there will be no home for a progressive vote apart from Labour to keep Cameron out of Downing Street.

No comments: