Saturday, January 06, 2007

The politics of protest and the real world

Cymuned have taken the chance to respond to my letter in the Daily Post. I don't recall pledging support for their campaigns, but I am very clear that many nationalsits have wrapped themselves in the 'homes for locals' flag as some symbol of nationhood. In reality there are many people of different political backgrounds working on potential and practical solutions.

Unfortunately I feel their response also reflects unrealistic expectations as I cannot see Wales, or even many people in "Y Fro Gymraeg" signing up wholesale to the 'locals only' approach as is being suggested. Yet, as pointed out in my letter, the national policies we have do now allow a recognition of local problems and the oportunity to take action as a result. In that way the needs of local communities can be addressed alongside wider market issues.

I will be the first to acknowledge that the politics of protest has a vital role in any democracy but those of us choosing to use electoral infleunce have to provide considered responses, and it is my judgement that the market will have a role to play in tackling some of our housing problems.

However this debate will be contiuned in the Post hopefully next week.

No comments: